Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Familiar feeling

I've been a full-time mommy over the last week waiting for the new nanny to start and I remember thinking of my school days in terms of the time between morning break-lunch- afternoon break-study hall-last break of the day- and home. Not really considering anything I may have learned in between that time. Today I realized I think of my mommy days in terms of the time between morning nap-sesame street-snack-long nap-doodlebops-snack-and the Dennis hand-off.

Is this wrong? Shouldn't I be enjoying the amazing development my children are experiencing throughout the day? The subtle bonding elements they share in the sweetest of ways? Shouldn't I be skipping to Mia's room upon her wake-up call to discover something new and wonderful? What about baking a cake together and then I can lovingly dot her little nose with icing just like the ad shows.

I love them...I really do. I just can't help but feel some sort of accomplishment that I can hand them off to Dennis (before he even has a chance to put his man purse down and slip into his capris) unharmed, well-fed and well-rested. Someone please tell me they did/do the same and their children are good citizens.

3 comments:

angie said...

Every mom/dad secretly feels this way. I wouldn't have made it through w/o my stay-at-home mom/friends on the phone for support/conversation. Some days were incredibly boring and exhausting. However, when they do something so sweet it takes your breath away - ALL WORTH IT!

mGk said...

As I get ready to become a "stay at home" mom for the first time I wonder if I will be able to deal with the same things. I think it is an undercurrent for all parents. Your girls have smiles on their faces everytime I see them and they are happy, healthy and safe. You are doing a great job. Both of you!

El said...

I think some ages are easier than others. Newborns are really portable, but they're the most needy. Pre-verbal kids get frustrated quickly. Tantrums happen. As they get older and more independent, believe me, it gets easier: I can now safely let M do what she wants--alone--for half-hour stretches of time. That said, once she turned 18 months she was "beyond me" so I went back to work and put her in the social world of Montessori. Best for us all.

I also think parents have an "age" they find most easy in their kids. I am a good baby mom, but a seven-year-old, for me, is more fun. My mom loves teenagers. Maybe your girls' age just doesn't meet your best skills, but maybe they meet Dennis'. Don't worry: they grow up REALLY fast! And that nanny is coming soon so hang in there!